Manila Essence

Tricky transport

Last week I discovered a new way of getting home from work- a F/X that offers me an almost door-to-door service for a mere 25 pesos. Some may ask why it took me two months to discover the service? Well its because transport here in the Phillipines works on a supply and demand system.

Very simply if there is demand for transport then there will be a supply. Wherever you are in the country and wherever you want to go there will be a jeepney, tricyle, bus or motorbike that is willing to transport you. Finding the transport is the part that is tricky- there is no 131500 transport infoline or website you can look at to find out the routes. Instead you have to ask around and find someone who is in the know…

In Metro Manila there are thousands of jeepneys and F/Xs cruising the streets. In order to ride the one you need you have to look at the tiny sign drivers hold up in their windscreen and then flag them down. There are no designated stops so you can jump on anywhere along the route. I have now learned that drivers will wait until their vehicle fills up before they begin their journey. At the beginning of my time here I used to opt for the less crowded jeepneys but now I know to ride the jam-packed ones if I want to get to get to destination a bit faster.