Manila Essence

Tis the season...

As I write this post from my desk, my colleague is humming along to Christmas carols. Yes the Christmas season in the Philippines is in full swing! It started early-in September I heard my first carols and by October many of the shops and restaurants had put up their first decorations. But since All Souls day, Christmas madness has really hit. People I meet have started greeting me with “Merry Christmas” and there are decorations EVERYWHERE.

Christmas decorations here cover the whole spectrum from the truly tacky to the truly gorgeous. Truly tacky is the dancing life-size Santa in the foyer of my work building. It lets out a “Ho Ho Ho” and bursts into a rendition of “Jingle Bells” when you walk by. Truly gorgeous are the traditional Filipino decorations especially the “Parols” made of capiz shell and paper. There are usually very simple designs made in the shape of a star.

Parols originated in an area called Pamapagna where I was this week for a work conference. I really wanted to buy a Parol and so looked at many stalls with one of my colleagues. She bargained the stall holders down to what I thought was a good price but her opinion was that it was still way too many pesos and she insisted I walk away.... Still with 5 weeks still to go until Christmas I think I have plenty of time to shop for decorations!