And this time I saw the volcano!
Just returned from another trip to Mt Mayon to check on the evacuation sites. In the two weeks since our first visit things have dramatically improved for the evacuees. Donors have responded to the crisis and the centres now have safe drinking water, food supplies, blankets, medicine and medical clinics. Again I was amazed at the resilience of the evacuees, despite the tough conditions they were incredibly positive and welcoming
The alert level remains "high" but the volcano has been pretty calm for the last week- it’s just emitting smoke and no lava (am sure if I was a volcanologist I explain it in much more impressive terms!) and so it looks like people will be able to go home in the next week.
There were a few "only in the Philippines" moments on the trip; a tricycle being used to deliver water tanks and boxes of blankets and a cigarette company "donating" cigarettes to evacuees- obviously there are different views of Corporate Social Responsibility out there!

<< Home