Manila Essence

Bowling- it's a serious sport!

Last Friday was the annual office Tenpin Bowling Tournament. Thinking it would be a good opportunity to get to know my work colleagues I signed up for what I thought would be a fun afternoon of team bonding. However I soon found out that in the Philippines Bowling is a very serious affair!

The afternoon kicked off with an official opening ceremony- the national anthem was played and speeches given before all participants were asked to recite the Oath of Sportsmanship. I seemed to be the only one who found it difficult to keep a straight face whilst reciting “I will not do any rude or foul acts, nor consent to the doing of any on the lanes. I will be magnaminous in victory and gracious in defeat. I will strive at all times to bring honour to my team and myself and to conduct myself as a bowler to the best of my ability”

Once the bowling began it soon became clear that I was the only bowler without much ability-everyone else was a real pro knocking down all the pins every time. My team came second, largely due to my poor effort. Luckily they followed the oath and were were gracious in their defeat!