Manila Essence

What are they really searching for?

In Manila everytime you board the train, go into a mall or enter an office building you are stopped by a security guard and must open your bag for inspection. The guard then sticks in a wooden stick and has a look…but they never really search it properly before waving you on. I was starting to wonder about the effectiveness of this search when a random conversation with a colleague revealed what I think the guards are really looking for …it’s not a bomb or even firearms but a durian!

Whether you love or hate durian, you have to admit that the fruit has a VERY distinctive smell. I would say it's putrid but I know thousands of durian-lovers would disagree! So distinctive is the smell that in many parts of Southeast Asia including here in the Philippines you are not allowed to bring durian onto planes, buses or trains. Maybe that is what the guards are really seaching for?