Aah I do love an acronym!
I am working in an organisation that LOVES acronyms in a country that LOVES them even more. This has led to a steep learning curve on my part. I have been compiling my own little referral list and was feeling pretty confident that I had mastered all the new terms I needed to know. That was until yesterday when I volunteered to take minutes for a meeting....suddenly I was confronted with a whole raft of new TLAs, FLAs and SLAs - that translates to three- letter acronyms, four and five-letter acronyms and six-letter acronyms for those of you who speak English!
Here are some examples of terms that came up in yesterdays meeting:
APIS: Annual Poverty Indicator Survey
FFL: Female Functioning Literacy
GOP: Government of the Philippines
HRBAP: Human Rights Based Approach to Programming
MTSP: Medium Term Strategic Plan
RSCWC: Regional Sub Committee for the Welfare of Children
And my absolute favourite:
SM/EmOC/IYCF: Safe Motherhood, Emergency Obstetric Care/ Infant Young Child Feeding

<< Home