Manila Essence

Beginning of the end

Today is the start of my last week of work so I have been making my way through my last "to do" list, trying to write my final report and throwing out the mountains of papers that have accumulated at my desk. My twelve months in the Philippines really has flown by- it feels like only yesterday that I arrived in Manila and yet in less than two weeks I will be back home.

The goodbyes and "despedidas" (farewells) have already started and there are many more scheduled for the next week. I have already had several "exit interviews" where I have been asked to sum up my time as a volunteer here- a hard task when I feel like I am still in the middle of the experience. Of course I am excited about going home but it just seems so unreal.

Leaving has got me thinking about the things I will miss about the Philippines and the things I am looking forward to most about going home. Here's the list I have got going so far:

THINGS I WILL MISS
- The constant challenge of my work here and the opportunities to learn from very wise colleagues
- $1 beers and $3 taxi rides
- Random singing
- The colour, excitement and general busy-ness of living in Manila
- Jeepneys

THINGS I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO
- Catching up with family and friends
- Surf
- Being cold...strange but true!
- Fresh air and the smell of eucalypts
- A good coffee (preferably to be enjoyed somewhere with a water view)